Teaching Remy to give you a high-five:
The high-five should be in every pup’s arsenal of parlor tricks. The standard shake has grown a bit boring, so it is time to step up your puppy game. Try these simple steps to get your pup slapping paw to hand in no time. Put your dog in a sit and kneel, or bend over so you are at about eye level.
- Start the training by teaching a simple shake. Say the command “Shake” while lifting his paw into your hand and then reward. Repeat this 5 times.
- Next, try to get your pup to shake on his own. State the command “shake” and if he lifts his paw, even if slightly, then treat right away. Repeat this process, treating every time your pup lifts his paw on command.
- Slowly, start making it more difficult for your pup to get the treat. First, make him put his paw in your hand for a shake. When he can do this on command, then start lifting your hand higher and higher.
- Keep practicing and raising your hand every time until you can get it into a high-five position. Don’t make it too difficult for your pup, but he should have to stretch for it.
- When he reaches the high-five position, incorporate the new command, “HIGH-FIVE!” Soon he will start incorporating the high reach with the new verbal command, as well as the hand placement.
Bringing a new family addition into the home is extremely exciting! Becoming a new puppy parent comes with a ton of new joys, challenges and responsibilities. PupBox was created to help new puppy parents like yourself, by providing all of the toys, treats, accessories and training information you need, when you need it. CLICK HERE to learn more about PupBox.
And remember, puppyhood is fast and is gone before you know it. Make sure to savor the time when your pup is young, and take lots of pictures along the way!